Today’s public safety practitioner faces greater and more complex challenges than at any other time in history. These complex challenges require contemporary, creative and effective solutions. The foundation for these solutions is professional training.
Since 1960, the Southeastern Public Safety Institute (SEPSI) at St. Petersburg College has specialized in training and education for those preparing to enter a public safety profession, in-service practioners and administrators. Today, SEPSI is composed of eight major programs:
• Associate in Science degree programs in Crime Scene Technology, Criminal Justice Technology and Public Safety Services (with related sub plans)
• Bachelor of Applied Science degree in Public Safety Administration
• Fire Science and Emergency Administration Programs
• Inservice Continuing Education Programs
• Law Enforcement, Corrections, Fire, and Equivalency of Training Academies
• Multijurisdictional Counterdrug Task Force Training Program
• National Terrorism Preparedness Institute
• Regional Community Policing Institute
More than 85 educators, experienced trainers and administrative staff support these programs.
SEPSI moved to its present location at the Allstate Center in June 1991 with a vision to establish a college-administered training center that serves the community, state and nation in producing new ideas, solutions and leaders in public safety professions.
The training facilities include spacious and comfortable conference rooms, along with teaching laboratories and classrooms specially designed to meet the needs of instructors and students. There are many unique and practical learning environments such as booking and criminalistics rooms, interrogation labs, a media center, an exercise room, a padded defensive tactics room, a mock apartment, jail cells, a courtroom, a forensics lab, a photo lab and a student lounge.
The state-of-the-art facility and experienced staff allow students to enjoy courses, workshops, conferences and seminars while visiting one of the most beautiful areas in the country — the west coast of Florida. We look forward to you visiting, touring our facility and discussing your training and educational needs.
James C. Brock Jr.
Southeastern Public Safety Institute