Become a firefighter
As a firefighter, you often risk your life to protect the public. The St. Petersburg College Firefighting Academy prepares you for a challenging and rewarding career as a firefighter at its cutting-edge Fire and Public Safety Training Center.
Our academy is certified as a training center by the Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training. Once you complete the academy courses, you earn Firefighting I and II certificates and are qualified to take the state certification exam.
- Fire service orientation and culture
- Physical fitness training
- Fire chemistry
- Building construction
- Firefighter safety
- Methods of fire control and suppression
Use and construction of:
- Fire hose and appliances
- Fireservice ladders and application
To become a professional firefighter in Florida, you must have:
- EMT-Basic certification
- Firefighter II certification
- Completed Firefighter Minimum Standards Certified training (such as SPC's) OR
- Have received an equal amount of training in another state
Fire Academy Costs
The Fire Academy is a postsecondary adult vocational training program. Students are not eligible for federal financial aid due to the length of the program; however, Florida Prepaid and Bright Futures can be applied toward tuition. Bright Futures eligibility is contingent upon the length of the program (minimum of 180 clock hours and the clock hours must occur within the starting and ending dates for regular term credit hour programs). A Bright Futures recipient with a prior baccalaureate degree is ineligible for funding. Contact Financial Assistance Services for further details.
Fees must be paid up front.
Contact Stephanie Calvert at 727-302-6873 for information on tuition.
Assistance for Veterans
Financial assistance is available to veterans who qualify. Contact the Veterans Services Office at 727-341-4271 for more information.
Combined Firefighter/EMT program
For information on the combined Firefighter/EMT program, contact Stephanie Calvert at the Fire Training Center at 727-302-6873.
Fire Academy schedule and length
The Fire Academy consists of 450 hours of training and is usually offered as a full-time and part-time academy.
- 13 weeks
- 7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Monday through Friday
- Usually offered September through December and January through April
- 23 weeks
- 4:45 to 10 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays and 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. every Saturday
- Usually offered April through September
- Fire/EMT begins January 2019
- Fire Academy begins Spring 2019
- Part-Time begins April 2019
- Fire/EMT begins June 2019
- Fire Academy begins Fall 2019