FAFSA Priority Deadlines
Follow the steps below to complete your financial aid application
- This is your electronic signature for federal student aid and gives you online access to your U.S. Department of Education records.
- Enter a username from 6 to 30 characters long. Use any combination of numbers, uppercase and lowercase letters. Choose a username that you can remember, but is hard for others to guess.
- Create a password.
- If you are a dependent student, your parents must apply for an FSA ID.
- Only the owner of the FSA ID should create and use the account. Never share your FSA ID.
- If needed, request a duplicate FSA ID or change your FSA ID on this website.
- Renew your FSA ID every 18 months.
- Students whose last names have changed need to make sure their last name is correct with the Social Security Administration.
- See more on creating and using your FSA ID. Watch this detailed video on how to create an FSA ID.
- This is your application for financial aid at SPC and determines whether you qualify for federal and state grants and federal loans based on financial need
- It does not cost anything to complete the FAFSA. Beware of scams that charge for financial aid. DO NOT pay to complete the FAFSA.
- SPC's School Code is 001528.
- Complete the FAFSA as soon as possible after Oct. 1 each year, regardless of the date you start classes. Priority consideration is given to students who apply by May 1. The earlier you apply, the more funds you could be eligible to receive.
- Gather the documents you'll need.
- Use your 2020 tax information to complete the 2022-23 FAFSA
- Use your 2019 tax information to complete the 2021-22 FAFSA
- In certain circumstances, the FAFSA allows a student and/or parent to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to get information directly from the IRS. See more information about the DRT.
- See tax transcript tips from the IRS.
- The IRS recently suspended for new users the availability of the Get Transcript Online service. Users who had already established an account with the IRS for using this service are still able to login to the Get Transcript Online service. Get Transcript by Mail is still available.
- Use the FAFSA on the Web worksheet to help you complete the FAFSA.
- See 10 common FAFSA mistakes.
- If you cannot complete a FAFSA online, call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 800-433-3243 to request a paper copy.
- Three to five business days after you submit the FAFSA, review your SAR for accuracy.
- Read the COMMENT section carefully.
- Follow the directions on the Student Aid Report (SAR) to submit any needed corrections.
- To add SPC's School Code, 001528, or make a correction, you will need to use your FSA ID to log back in.
- Apply to SPC and pay your application fee in order for SPC to have access to your FAFSA data
- Submit all required official transcripts and allow time for their evaluation
- Complete your Learning Plan to determine which courses you need to take for your program and when you need to take them.
- Review Financial Aid Eligibility.
- Check your Financial Aid Status and SPC student email regularly.
- Apply for funds you don't have to repay such as scholarships and student employment
- Decline, Reduce or Accept your student loans
Applying for Financial Aid
Early FAFSA Filing
Understanding the FAFSA