What is your dependency status?
This is important because it determines whose documents you will need to gather to prove residency – yours or your parent’s or guardian’s. In Florida, students who are under the age of 24 now, or who will be under the age of 24 when classes begin, are assumed to be dependent students. Use the lists below to determine your dependency status. The documents needed to prove your dependency status are in addition to the Primary and Secondary documents required to prove residency. Please use our FAX cover sheet and be sure that your name and student ID# are included on every page faxed.
If any of the qualifiers below describe your situation, you are considered independent. Complete the Residency Affidavit. Provide the document(s) listed below and Primary/Secondary documents in your name.
- I am over the age of 24 or I will be by the time I first enroll at SPC.
- I am under the age of 24 but I can document that I made at least $10,196 for the last tax year, AND I claimed myself as a dependent, or no other person claimed me as a dependent for tax purposes (Provide a copy of last year’s tax return).
- I am under the age of 24 but I am married. (Provide a copy of marriage certificate.)
- I am under the age of 24 but I have others who receive more than half of their support from me. (Provide your last year’s tax return showing names and relationship of dependents.)
- I am under the age of 24 but I have been discharged from the military. (Provide copies of your discharge orders.)
- I am under the age of 24 but I was a ward or dependent of the courts before I reached the age of 18. (Provide form(s) from DCF or court documents)
- I have been classified as an independent person by SPC Financial Assistance Services.
If you cannot prove that you are independent by meeting one of these points, you may write a letter documenting your general circumstances to petition that SPC treat you as an independent person for establishing residency for tuition purposes. Your letter must be detailed, compelling and must document the conditions and reasons that you feel you should be treated as an independent person. Please address the letter to:
Director of Admissions/Residency
St. Petersburg College
PO Box 33089
St. Petersburg, FL 33733
You can also FAX the letter to 727-341-7143.
If any of the qualifiers below describe your situation, you are considered dependent. Have your parent or legal guardian complete the Residency Affidavit. Provide the document(s) listed below and Primary/Secondary documents in your parent or legal guardians name.
- I am under the age of 24 and my parent or legal guardian claim me as a dependent for income tax purposes.
- I am under the age of 24 but have lived continuously with an adult relative other than my parent for at least three years. (Provide documents proving 12 months physical residency of relative, and that you lived with them for three years.)
- I am under the age of 24 and my guardian or person acting in a parental relationship claims me as a dependent for income tax purposes.
(Provide documents proving 12 months physical residency of guardian or parental relation and three years of tax transcripts/returns.)