Work Study jobs tutoring local children
America Reads and America Counts programs provide Federal Work Study assignments for eligible college students to tutor elementary and middle school-aged children in Pinellas County schools. Tutors are assigned a school at the beginning of each school year, usually in early September.
Interested students should contact Andrew Hidalgo at 727-394-6044.
How to apply
- Must be Federal Work Study eligible
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Complete the Student Employment Application
- Once you meet the initial eligibility requirement, you will be notified by email at the email address you provided on your Student Employment Application.
- Login to your application to access the list of student employment opportunities. Select Student Employment - EPI, America Reads/Counts.
Pinellas County Schools will:
- Conduct an interview with potential candidates
- Conduct secondary background check
- Make final hiring decision
- Assign tutors to a particular school
- Provide orientation and training
Students must have earned the following:
- America Reads - grade of B or higher in ENC 1101-Composition I
- America Counts - grade of B or higher in MAC 1105-College Algebra
Students must commit to the following:
- Have reliable transportation to assigned school
- Participate in an orientation provided by Pinellas County Schools
- Commitment throughout the academic year to the program goals and scheduled work hours
- Professionalism, punctuality, patience and adherence to teacher instructions and lesson plans
- Represent St. Petersburg College in the community
How you are paid
You will be paid biweekly at a rate of $11.29 per hour by St. Petersburg College.
For more information, contact Andrew Hidalgo at 727-394-6044.