Work Study jobs tutoring local children
America Reads and America Counts programs provide Federal Work Study assignments for eligible college students to tutor elementary and middle school-aged children in Pinellas County schools. Tutors are assigned a school at the beginning of each school year, usually in early September.
Interested students should contact Alice Marks at email@example.com or 727-341-7956.
How to apply
- Review the eligibility criteria for SPC employment positions
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Complete the Student Employment Application.
- If you are notified by email, at the email address you provided on your Student Employment Application, that you meet initial eligibility requirements, login to your application to access the list of student employment opportunities. Select Student Employment - CL, American Reads/Counts.
Funding for student employment is limited so positions are available on a first-come, first-served basis.Pinellas County Schools will:
- Conduct an interview with potential candidates
- Conduct secondary background check
- Make final hiring decision
- Assign tutors to a particular school
- Provide orientation and training
Students must have earned the following:
- America Reads - grade of B or higher in ENC 1101-Composition I
- America Counts - grade of B or higher in MAC 1105-College Algebra
Students must commit to the following:
- Have reliable transportation to assigned school
- Attend a one-hour orientation and a two-hour training on the America Reads or America Counts curriculum
- Commitment throughout the academic year to the program goals and scheduled work hours
- Professionalism, punctuality, patience and adherence to teacher instructions and lesson plans
- Represent St. Petersburg College in the community
How you are paid
You will be paid biweekly at a rate of $11.29 per hour by St. Petersburg College.
For more information, call or e-mail Student Employment, 727-341-7956.