Florida Civic Literacy Exam
The State of Florida requires that all students graduating from St. Petersburg College and other institutions in the Florida College System (FCS), as well as from any State University System (SUS) institution, fulfill a Civic Literacy Competency requirement prior to graduating. Beginning in Fall 2018, students entering a Florida public institution as an Associate in Arts and bachelor’s degree- student needed to demonstrate civic literacy through either taking a certain course or passing an exam. The 2021 Florida Legislature amended Florida Rule 6A-10.02413, Civic Literacy Competency, and now requires students entering a Florida public institution in Fall 2021 to complete both a civic literacy course and exam.
Taking the test:
- There is no fee to take the exam
- The test is untimed with most students completing it within 1 hours. We recommend you plan for a minimum of 1/2 hours when making your appointment
- The exam is only offered by appointment at our on-campus testing centers on scheduled days and times. You may take it at any campus. Remote testing is currently not available.
If you live outside Pinellas, Hillsborough, or Pasco counties OR you live out-of-state, alternate testing options are available. When registering for the exam, please select Other when we ask what in county do you reside, and a testing professional will contact you.
St. Petersburg/Gibbs - Monday - 10 a.m. / 1 p.m. / 3 p.m.
Clearwater - Tuesday - 10 a.m. / 1 p.m. / 3 p.m.
Downtown - Wednesday - 9 a.m. / Noon
Seminole - Thursday - 10 a.m. / 1 p.m. / 3 p.m.
Tarpon Springs - Friday - 9 a.m. / 11 a.m.
Please be on the look out for After Hours testing events for additional testing times.
After Hours testing is held during peaks to give students greater options in testing.
After Hours testing starts at 7PM on select days across Seminole, Tarpon, Gibbs and Clearwater campuses.
- You must score 60% or correctly answer 48 of the 80 multiple choice questions on the exam.
- If you need to retake the exam, you will need to submit a new request to reserve your seat. You may not take the exam more than once per day and we recommend waiting seven days and utilizing our study guides to prepare.
- Priority is given to students graduating at the end of the term. If you are a candidate for the current semester, you will be notified by email and provided the registration link.
- Scores will be available in MySPC 1-2 business days after completing the exam.